Memorable Quotes

Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith. - Author Unknown

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Baking in the Spring Season

It's spring!!!! I'm so happy to welcome Spring this year! The winter was much colder in this area than normal, so sunny, warm weather is lovely.

For me, the daffodils and dogwood blooming herald spring. They also lead me to the kitchen...and the garden...and the yard....and the local nursery. (I have flowers to plant right now.)

I love looking for a great new recipe that says spring. This year, it was easy - the cover of Southern Living caught my eye. I'm a big fan of pound cakes, so when I saw the strawberry swirled beauty on their cover I knew it was my first spring recipe of 2011. I was even more certain when I read the name - Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake.

The recipe seems a little long at first glance, but don't let that deter you. The cake is very good. I do want to give you a couple of helpful hints that I feel they left out of the recipe.
  • Reduce the oven temperature if you are using a dark pan. This will prevent the outside from over browning. I baked it at 335F with the rack on the second space from the top.
  • The recipe calls for strawberry glaze which is very sweet and high in sugar. Substituting all-fruit strawberry preserves works wonderfully. This gives it a fresher taste and saves some calories.

I hope you will give it a try! It is an excellent dessert to welcome the spring. May your first day of spring be full of daffodils and dogwoods!

No comments:

Post a Comment