Memorable Quotes

Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith. - Author Unknown

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lightening the Load

I'm constantly updating my To Do List. It starts each evening with a list of things that I need to get done (or try to get done) during the following day. Out of my mind, down on paper...no endless loop stealing sleep.

Laundry stays on this list even with our small household. I have often asked myself how we manage to dirty so many clothes so quickly. I found my answer this past weekend.

I ask that my son sort his laundry, but then I take over. I wash, dry, fold, and place them in his room to put away. I hang up his clothes too. No more!

I found out that my son finds it easier to dump those clean clothes that he doesn't want to put away back in the hamper. Here I am trying to simplify and find a little more time for fun and it is being sabotaged. Time for a life lesson. Now, he must sort his clothes then fold and put away the clean clothes. Future infractions will result in additional penalties....he'll learn to wash his own clothes.

I enjoy taking care of my family, but I also know that children must learn to do things for themselves. Laundry is easy to teach and learn. I placed an instruction sheet for basic items by the washing machine and started with towels. Towels are the perfect starting point because they cannot be ruined. So they might get bleached, but they will still handle the job of drying. Okay, you might want to put a few guest towels out of sight just in case. Just think how much simpler life would be with some help with the laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment